Analyse the coffee shop industry in the UK taking account of the variety of players from small independents to the largest chains.
In this paper, you are required to define the following terms with its detailed features:
- Strategic Purpose
- Strategic Resources & Capabilities
- Business & Corporate Strategies
Answer all of the sections (A, B, C and D) and their tasks, applying strategic management theory and frameworks.
A. STRATEGIC PURPOSE (25%)
- After Unilever fought off the takeover bid from Kraft Heinz in 2017, their CEO re-committed the company to its CSR programmes. Appraise the benefits of their CSR activities. Make clear who benefits.
- Does the Unilever website and what it publishes about its purpose and strategy convince you that the company would be a good place to work? Why (or why not)?
- Would CSR play a part in your choice of employer? Why (or why not)?
B. ENVIRONMENT (25%)
- Analyse the coffee shop industry in the UK taking account of the variety of players from small independents to the largest chains.
- How does this help you explain the competition which exists on Mill Road and in the area surrounding ARU in Cambridge? Note that there are no marks for primary research through talking to business owners. Concentrate on the application of the strategic models to what you can see and what you research online and through reports in the library.
C. STRATEGIC RESOURCES & CAPABILITIES (25%)
- Analyse the resources and capabilities of Costa Coffee in relation to the UK market.
- Analyse the resources and capabilities of an independent coffee shop. You may take a typical profile of such a business or choose a specific example but note that there are no marks for primary research through talking to a business owner. Concentrate on the application of the strategic models to what you can see and what you research online and through reports in the library.
- How does this help you explain the competition which exists on Mill Road and in the area surrounding ARU in Cambridge?
D. BUSINESS & CORPORATE STRATEGIES (25%)
You have been appointed personal assistant to the Director of International Marketing at Lindt and Sprungli who has asked you to prepare a strategy clock to show the competitive position of Lindt chocolate bars in the UK market.
- Prepare the strategy clock analysis and an analysis using Porter’s generic strategies to show how the insights from each model differ.
- Would you suggest he includes one of the models in a short strategy presentation to the Lindt and Sprungli board? If so, which do you think is more illuminating? If not, which other models do you think is likely to provide more insight?
- There are no marks for primary research. Speaking to business which feature in the questions has no value. Use high quality research reports from the library and concentrate on the application of the strategic models considered in the module.
- Use references to inform your arguments. Ensure that you develop your ideas and use evidence to back up your arguments.
- It is up to you to determine the length of your answer to each section of the assignment. However, the 3000-word limit for the whole assignment will be enforced.
- Do not include an introduction or conclusions, just answer the questions of Sections A-D.
- You should use font point 11, single spacing, and 1-inch margins. You should provide a reference list using the Harvard Referencing Style. The reference list is not included in the word count.
- Remember that there is no single correct answer to strategic management. A good analysis contains a careful analysis of the situation, supported by relevant conceptual frameworks.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions