Critique of one research article which addresses evidence in their own area of nursing and reflect on the implication for your practice
You are required to review the NHS Outcome Framework and identify a key practice area of interest to you from your chosen field of nursing practice.
Identify a research article from a peer reviewed journal related to your chosen field of nursing practice that highlights an area of practice that links to the NHS Outcomes Framework. This can be an article based on qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods or multiple methods research, but MUST be primary research published with in last 5 years (systematic reviews / literature reviews are not allowed).
Initially you will offer a rationale as to why your chosen topic is an area worthy of further study and how this relates to the NHS Outcomes Framework domain selected. You will then need to apply the principles of evidence-based practice outlined in the module; to effectively critique your chosen article and consider its application to clinical practice.
Word Count: 2000 +-10%
Module Learning Outcomes
Learning Outcome 1
Be able to critique healthcare literature.
Learning Outcome 2
Demonstrate an understanding of how different forms of evidence inform their discipline.
Learning Outcome 3
Analyse and reflect on own strengths and developmental needs as an effective healthcare practitioner.
Learning Outcome 4
Reflect on how the evidence based practice agenda contributes to professional development of healthcare practitioners.
- 1. Introduction (200 words). An introduction generally need to answer these 3 questions.
- a. What? The introduction must begin by clearly explaining what the essay is about. This section needs to explain in your own words what is required in the assignment brief given above.
- b. How? The second part of the introduction need to outline how the essay is structured. You need to summarise the details given in point 2 below.
- c. Why? An introduction needs to articulate why the topic under consideration is of significance.
- Discussion (1600 words)
- What is evidence based practice and what is the significance of evidence based nursing in the current health and social care environment? (Learning Outcome 1 & 2).
- Provide a rationale for your chosen domain of the NHS Outcomes Framework and its relevance in your chosen field of nursing practice. (Learning Outcome 1 & 2).
- Briefly outline the chosen research paper, provide a rationale for your choice and provide an analysis and synthesis of how it relates to the chosen domain of the NHS Outcomes Framework. (Learning Outcome 1, 2 & 3).
- Analyse the chosen study (discuss the strengths, weaknesses and limitations of the study using a literature appraisal tool such as those developed by CASP). (Learning Outcome 1, 2 & 3).
- Discuss and justify whether or not the findings are therefore robust enough to be used to change or support practice in your chosen domain for your field of practice? (Learning Outcome 3 & 4).
- Reflect on how the findings of the paper have contributed to your professional development and / or that of other healthcare practitioners in your chosen field of nursing practice. (Learning Outcome 3 & 4).
- 3. Conclusion (200 words)
- a. Summary. Summarise the key learning points that have emerged from your discussion above.
- b. Recommendations. Make recommendations on what needs to be done in light of your findings and conclusions.
- References. Appropriate referencing is an important element of academic writing. Ensure that you have used the most up-to-date UWL referencing guide available from the library. Please be aware that the referencing guide is regularly updated.
- Appendices. Appendices serve both the writer and the reader and of your essay. In an appendix, you can include material that supports your work but that would be distracting or too long in the text of the essay. Material in an appendix must be relavant to the essay, and links and references between the appendix and the essay need to be made in the main text. You will need to include the research article as an appendix.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions