Demonstrate a clear understanding/knowledge of the importance of ethics and values to the professional activity of social workers and the judgements they make in safeguarding vulnerable people
Written Assignment: 3000 words in total.
- Assignment question: What is the relationship between personal and professional values, ethics and the legislative framework for Social Work?
- Choose one of the case studies that will be provided to demonstrate your understanding of the issues raised as described in each question below.
- Write 1000 words for each of the 3 questions as set out below;
1. What are personal values, what are professional values, and what is the relationship between the two? How could these issues impact upon the chosen case study? This relates to learning outcomes 1 and 4.
2. How do philosophical ideas and concepts help us to resolve ethical conflicts /dilemmas within Social Work Practice? What is the link between values and ethics and the professional codes of practice? How might these debates impact upon the case study? This relates to Learning outcome 2 and 5.
3. What is the contextual link between legislation and ethical social work practice, how do Social workers use and applythe Legislation to intervene. You may consider, where relevant, the following legislation: Human Rights Act 1998, the Children Act 1989 and Children Act 2004, The Care Act 2014, and Mental Health Act 1983/2007, and the Mental Capacity Act 2005. How might legislation and ethical interventions apply to the chosen case study? This relates to learning outcomes 3 and 6.
Remember to include the powers and duties that are laid down by legislation and to consider whether legislation supports or constricts effective practice or leads to moral and ethical dilemmas.
The case studies
Further details on the written assignment can be found below.
Intended learning outcomes for the assessment
Knowledge and understanding
1. Demonstrate a clear understanding/knowledge of the importance of ethics and values to the professional activity of social workers and the judgements they make in safeguarding vulnerable people.
2. Demonstrate a clear understanding of all the professional codes of practice (from HCPC and BASW) and the underpinning importance of philosophical concepts used in the resolution of ethical and / or legal dilemmas.
Intellectual, practical, affective and transferable skills
3. Explain and describe the relationship between legal duties, ethics, values, and the law when undertaking a range of tasks, confidentiality and communicating with people of difference.
4. Reflect upon how personally held values may influence or compromise professional conduct / behaviour and the legislative framework and the risks involved in doing so.
5. Describe the relevance of ethics in resolving conflicts/tensions that exist in social work practice especially in relation to discrimination, equality and diversity.
6. Examine the importance of social work values/ethics and their relevance in terms of maintaining relationships, capacity and best interests of service users and carers
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions