ECP240 - EMS Communications Procedures
EMS Communications Procedures
Emergency Communicators are often the first persons involved with a medical emergency or incident. Questions asked, decisions made and actions taken by them have a profound influence on the speed, effectiveness and safety of the response and affect the quality of on scene patient care. This subject introduces students to transfer and emergency call reception and protocols, the pre-alert process and requirements of pre-arrival instructions, as well as identifies time regulations and policies governing the collection and assessment of caller information. Students are also introduced to resource management and emergency coverage strategies, assignment of paramedic provider levels and patient distribution rationales.
Upon successful completion of this subject the student will be able to:
- Identify the reporting relationships and accountabilities within the operational structure of the Emergency Health Services Branch of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, as well as role of the Base Hospital.
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of call-takers and dispatchers.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of medical terminology and its use for gathering patient information during the call-taking and dispatching process.
- Explain the need for protocol-based call reception and identify the Dispatch Priority Card Index (DPCI) and Medical Priority Dispatch System (MPDS) systems used by a call-taker to establish call priorities.
- Apply the policies and procedures for the collection and assessment of call information, and identify the importance of adhering to the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
- Demonstrate the ability to provide appropriate caller pre-arrival instructions in an emergency call scenario.
- Define the time requirements for notification and monitoring movement of ambulance resources.
- Identify the criteria and steps for selecting the most appropriate ambulance for emergency response.
- Describe the Air Ambulance system and outline the procedures for requesting air ambulances on scene.
- Integrate EMS communications procedures in practical role-play scenarios.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions