SECTION A (Answers to be completed in the boxes provided)
This section relates to Unit Learning Outcomes 1 & 2
1. Using the internal room dimensions shown above calculate the total internal floor area of the proposed building.
2. Looking at the building type and size, what type of planning consent is required for the Pets Grooming Parlour ?
3. What would be the building category for the Pets Grooming Parlour under the `Use Classes` as defined within The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987?
4. List the mandatory supporting documents that will be required for the Pets Grooming Parlour planning application?
5. Provide a written explanation of the planning application process, the agencies involved and how planning decisions are made and appeals are monitored and processed. Use in your answer a hypothetical objection to a planning restriction imposed on the proposed design for the dog grooming parlour.
The planning application process:
How planning decisions are made:
Appeals, monitoring and processes:
6. Provide a written explanation of the building control process, the agencies involved and how planning decisions are made and appeals are monitored and processed. Use in your answer a hypothetical objection to a planning restriction imposed upon the design for the dog grooming parlour.
The building control process:
How building control decisions are made:
How does the appeals process against building control decisions work and how are appeals monitored:
7. Provide an evaluation of the impact of the planning system and buildings regulations in managing the development of land and buildings. Include in your answer how the two systems could possibly impact upon the dog grooming facility.
NB. Your answers to the above seven questions in Section A should respond to the following assessment criteria: P1, P2, P3, P4, M1, M2, D1.
SECTION B (Answers to be provided on separate sheets of paper)
This section relates to Unit Learning Outcomes 3 & 4
The proposed site for the Grooming Parlour is adjacent to another site with an office building and the busy shopping mall. Also, as noted above, the land will be on a leasehold tenancy.
8. Provide an explanation of how land law relates to the Grooming Parlour in terms of tenure and leasehold of the land, rights of way and shared access agreements and easements etc, relating to the shopping mall car park.
9. What legal documents will need to be drawn up on completion of the parlour between the landlord, the tenant and the landowner?
10. In view of the proximity of other buildings and their users, explain why this might cause particular problems on site with regard to the laws of trespass, nuisance, occupiers liability and vicarious liability.
11. Provide a list of what these problems might be and a detailed plan of how the building contractor might mitigate against them to reduce the legal impacts.
12. If the grooming parlour were to be scaled up to a much larger development (for example a full “Pets at Home” style shop, containing live animals, a feed warehouse, AND the grooming parlour), provide a strategy to address the further legal and statutory issues with such a complex large scale urban development.
13. Provide an evaluation of how the application of land law and landlord and tenant law would control the disposal and future use of the Grooming Parlour building.
14. Assess the impact of land law and property law in the development and disposal of large scale warehouse type retail developments.