Assessment 1 requires you to produce a literature review of no more than 1,500 words on just one of the following topics:
• The advantages and disadvantages of using focus groups as a source of data.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using qualitative data.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using questionnaires as a source of data.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using quantitative data.
You will need to identify the pertinent issues that impact the subject chosen and construct your literature review around those themes. You will need to demonstrate some critical evaluation of the literature reviewed. You are asked to draw conclusions at the end. You will need to use appropriate and recent literature. You need to adhere strictly to the Harvard referencing system.
The proposed work is as follows:
• You will be allocated a choice of issues which are precise and invite you to research a broad range of literature.
• You will have to conduct significant literature searches so that you can identify and use suitable academic theory and findings from which to synthesize your review.
• You should address the following points in your review:
o Definition and explanation of the terms you use.
o Demonstrate your understanding of the issue/s.
o Presentation of the relevant findings to date.
o Critically evaluate the literature.
o Draw conclusions from your findings.
Guidelines and Additional Information
• Preparation for this individual requires significant effort in researching the UoB Electronic Library. You may form your own study group to discuss the topic. However, each student is required to submit an individual report, comprising their own understanding, review, critical analysis and recommendations regarding the issue that you will be given
• Your report will be well presented and logically organized.
• Good clear presentation using an appropriate structure demonstrating effort to communicate effectively will result in higher grades.
• Use of the Harvard referencing style for citing references – see http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/guides/a-guide-to-referencing/referencing is mandatory. This not only applies to the bibliography but also to in-text references. This is a major attribute of the Learning Outcome of this unit.