Part 1: Demonstrate an understanding of common issues that relate to mental health and influencing policy and guidance.
Caring Encounters Assignment Guidance
Portfolio in 3 parts reflecting the learning outcomes
Part 1: Demonstrate an understanding of common issues that relate to mental health and influencing policy and guidance. (1000 words) (Third person)
Part 2: Discuss the enablers and barriers to a person-centred, caring conversation (2000 words) (Third person)
Part 3: Reflection, personal & professional development (1000 words) (First person)
Overview of the assignment
The written assignment should be 4000 words long (not including the reference list) and there is an allowance of +/- 10% on the total word count. Referencing should follow the Harvard system.
The focus of this assignment is to explore the evidence base and explain what can encourage and what can inhibit caring encounters with service users/patients in a person centred manner. You will need to demonstrate knowledge of common Mental health issues in the context of the current political landscape and contemporary policy agenda.
It is important that you undertake sufficient reading to allow you to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the topics included within your essay, including key theories. Please integrate literature, policy and guidelines to substantiate statements made within the essay, and reference these. It is suggested that you refrain from using multiple direct quotes in your writing, but instead paraphrase, seeking support or guidance with this if needed.
Be careful to maintain confidentiality throughout in line with NMC (2018) guidance.
More detailed guidance is provided below
Module Learning Outcomes
Please note that this assignment must meet the module learning outcomes, that is to say that they should be covered by completing the whole portfolio, rather than you needing to write a section on how you have covered these. The module learning outcomes are:
1. Develop an understanding of some common mental health issues and influencing policy and guidance.
2. Analyse the factors that may influence a compassionate and empathic response to distressed and confused individuals.
3. Demonstrate confidence and skills which enable the future facilitation of caring conversations with those experiencing emotional distress
4. Evaluate own professional development and strategies contributing to emotional resilience.
Demonstrate an understanding of common issues that relate to mental health and influencing policy and guidance. (1000 words)
Guidance on the Introduction - (200 words approximately)
Broadly the introduction should set the scene and inform the reader of the key topics that your essay will cover.
Guidance Demonstrate an understanding of common issues that relate to mental health and influencing policy and guidance. (800 words)
This should include a discussion of contemporary mental health issues. Areas which would help to set the scene include:
- the political landscape, you should relate this to current policies and what impacts on these policies being developed
- exploring the links between physical and mental health and wellbeing
- and defining and demonstrating an understanding of emotional distress and how this links to individuals’ experiences.
Guidance on enablers and barriers to a person-centred, caring conversation (2000 words)
Please use a person-centred perspective when writing this section.
- Aim to demonstrate via critical discussion by referencing literature to support your discussion, question and look at opposing views
- Demonstrate an understanding of the causes of emotional distress that individuals experience and its potential to develop into, or impact on, a mental health issue.
- Consider that if an individual already has an existing mental health diagnosis, that you would need to demonstrate your understanding of this.
- You should also explore and discuss factors which would influence your response in a compassionate and person-centred way, being mindful of a service user’s perspective and experiences.
- Discuss and demonstrate your understanding of the influencing and inhibiting factors that can have an impact on caring conversations and their outcome. These should include factors such as communication and interpersonal skills, the therapeutic relationship, environmental factors, culture within the care setting and those involved, or social determinants of health and wellbeing.
In addition, it would be helpful to explore health promotion and potential interventions in relation to having caring conversations, and include the supporting evidence base. Please also acknowledge where the patient or carer’s emotional responses may be perfectly appropriate and natural dependent on the situations/contexts.
Reflection, personal & professional development (1000 words)
Guidance on the critical self-reflection on learning and professional development - (800 words)
Critically reflect on your own learning and development in relation to the module. Consider your own self-awareness and emotional resilience as part of this discussion. You may find it helpful to use a reflective cycle such as Gibbs.
Explore the strategies you developed through this module or could have developed to manage the emotional impact of caring conversations. Identify your learning needs, which can then be included within the PDP – these should link to the caring encounter and this module
Guidance on the professional development plan (PDP)–(200 words)
It is suggested that you identify up to two key learning needs for the PDP, and that these are taken from your critical self reflection. Make sure that for each need you include: the area for development and objective, so the skills or knowledge that you would like to develop, and also the planned development activity, so what activities and resources will you need in order to meet each objective. Lastly, to conclude, include the application to Practice – so considering your learning and how this may influence your future practice
Guidance for the Reference List
Please include your references in Harvard style, both within the reference list at the end of the essay, and for the citations within the essay.
Cite them Right is accessed via a button on the blackboard home page, and will guide you on how to reference all types of sources e.g. books, journals, webpages
The reference list is not included in the word count however references included within the essay will be included within the word count
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions