The assignment is a 2000-word literature review from which you should demonstrate your understanding of the current existing research on how national culture or/and institutional context/theory influence human resource management
The brief of the assignment -> TASK DESCRIPTION
The assignment is a 2000-word literature review from which you should demonstrate your understanding of the current existing research on how national culture or/and institutional context/theory influence human resource management across the non-Anglo-Saxon country, Germany and the Anglo-Saxon country, US. Using the academic and practical resources available to you, you conduct the comparison of HRM practices in the following two topic areas : 1) TRAINING and 2) EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Your literature review will deal with the following issues (as appropriate depending on the countries chosen):
- the HR context of the countries concerned (including national institutions, culture and national labor market);
- the consequences for HRM in
2) employment relations;
Students must identify the key features of the chosen countries and critically evaluate their significance for HR in the international context. Students must make reference to the appropriate academic literature, mainly referring to published journal articles ( 2014-2020) instead of textbooks.
Your essay should
- identify key theoretical concepts and relevant mechanisms,
- describe the relevant context in the Anglo Saxon country, US and the Non- Anglo Saxon country, Germany
- apply the theoretical context to both countries and
- critically discuss similarities and/or differences how training/ recruitment/ unions affect the outcome in both countries.
The structure should be like this
Abstract (excluding from the word count)
• Table of Contents
• Context (or Theory) -> Institutional theory (VoC, variety of capitalism approach, definition of institutions ) and cultural theory ( dimensions Hofstede)
• Theory (or Context)
• Comparison of training (e.g. learning style, VET, apprenticeship) and employee relations ( e.g. trade unions+ collective bargaining) method in two countries ( Germany and US)
• Reference list
- You are free to start with the theory or the context, but you should explain the empirical findings (context information) using theoretical arguments
- You can explain one theory in detail or discuss several theories
- You should cite academic articles, at least 10!
- Approaches to explain country differences:
- – Institutional
- – Cultural ( you are free to use cultural theories but you do not have to. Do not use only cultural theories)
Assessment criteria and weightings
This is an individual assignment. Assessment criteria and relative weighting are as follows:
- Subject knowledge and Theory application (50%)
- Explaining the key theoretical arguments and describing the relevant national environment.
- Evidence of detailed understanding of the relevant mechanisms in the theory
- Evidence of further reading of literature and relevant national environment, with reference to key debates and latest developments
- Critical analysis & reflection (30%)
- Critical assessment of how HR policies respond in two different national business environments.
- Comprehension of problems and identification of actions.
- Academic style & presentation (20%)
- Ability to present the argument in a logical, coherent and succinct manner with appropriate use of academic and professional vocabulary.
- Reference to the appropriate academic literature, mainly referring to published journal articles instead of textbooks.
- Clear structure and presentation of ideas (incl. labelling, figures, tables & titles).
- Proper use of BU referencing Harvard Style.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions