1.1 Assess the major contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts.
Question 1: Labour Market Your business is looking to expand into another country. You have been asked to provide a comparison of two countries, one being the UK. This comparison must include the following information:
• Contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts
• A review of the concept of Tight and Loose labour market conditions and link to a specific sector, for example, customer service Assessment criterions:
1.1 Assess the major contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts. Assessment criterion:
1.3 Explain the significance of tight and loose labour market conditions. Guidance 1.1: For this AC you need to briefly compare different labour market conditions in the UK and another country. The below topics will help you compare, it is recommended you discuss 2 areas for each country: Discussions could form ideas from the list below:
• inequalities in wage levels
• public and private sector differences
• different types of employment contract
• types of skills required
• geographical economic differences North vs South divides
• economic growth/decline sectors i.e. decline of manufacturing in the U.K, increase in the service industry1.3: You will need to explain the “significance” of tight and loose labour market conditions and levels of employment/unemployment. You could use Stephen Taylor`s model of tight vs loose market conditions to help you provide context.
Question 2: Recruitment and Selection Having found out about the labour market conditions from an international perspective, you have now been tasked with running a recruitment project. You are looking for a customer service team with specific skills. You are continuing to build your reputation and become an “employer of choice”. This next part of the assessment asks you to carry out the following research:
• Explain the main legal requirements in relation to recruitment and selection (2.5)
• Prepare an example of a job descriptions, a person specification and a competency framework linked to a chosen job role i.e. customer service operative (2.4)
• Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different 2 methods of recruitment and selection (2.6)
• Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to retaining talent and how becoming an Employer of Choice can improve the organisations position in competitive labour markets (3.2, 1.2) Assessment criterion:
2.5 Explain the main legal requirements in relation to recruitment and selection Assessment criterion:
2.4 Contribute to the development of job descriptions, person specifications and competency frameworks. Assessment criterion:
2.6 Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different methods of recruitment and selection. Assessment criterion:
3.2 Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to the retention of talent. Assessment criterion:
1.2 Explain how organisations position themselves strategically in competitive labour markets Guidance
2.5 You must be review key legislation that links to R&S context should be provided, the following must be included:
• Equality Act 2010 1.1 Assess the major contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts.
• Data Protection Act.
2.4 You will need to provide an example of each of the following:
• Personal specification
• Job description
• Competency framework These examples must link with a basic customer service role and a short context needs to be provided on each example. The examples should be placed in the appendices. You will need to provide context behind the example in the main body.
2.6 You need to provide 2 methods of recruitment and selection as a minimum and outline a small range of strengths and weaknesses. A table would lend itself well here. Options that could be included within this part:
• social media
• agencies, assessment centres
• interviews, CVs etc. The requirement for this criterion is ONLY 2 methods of recruitment and selection NOT 2 methods of recruitment plus 2 methods of selection.
3.2 For this criterion you must describe 2 approaches to retaining talent.
1.2 This discussion will lead onto how become an employer of choice which must include the following:
• How to become an employer of choice and how this links to market position You could also include the following:
• A discussion on benefits, definition, career progression & development.
Question 3: Talent Planning As part of future development plans for your new team you need to provide information on ensuring future skills are met in the workplace, for this you need to provide information on the following:
• Describe the role of government, employers and trade unions in ensuring future skills needs are met. (1.4, 2.1)
• Describe the principles of effective workforce planning and the tools used in the process; provide an example of a basic succession and career development plan (2.2, 2.1) Assessment criterion:
1.4 Describe the role of government, employers and trade unions in ensuring future skills needs are met. Assessment criterion:
2.1 Describe the principles of effective workforce planning and the tools used in the process Assessment criterion:
2.2 Develop basic succession and career development plan Guidance 2.1 For this part of the submission a short discussion on workforce planning is required. You must outline the main principles/benefits. The rest of the assessment criteria will provide the working examples to underpin this discussion.
1.4 You need to outline briefly the role of government, employers and trade unions in ensuring future skills needs are met. Your discussion could be formed of the following:
• government funding for more apprenticeships;
• development of employer-led professional standards e.g. ‘trailblazers’,
• contribution of union learning representatives.
2.2 An example of the following needs to be provided:
• Basic succession plan/framework which could include: o Future needs o Linking current staff to future roles o Competencies & Skills 1.1 Assess the major contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts.
• Basic Career development plan/framework which could include: o Methods o Goal setting o Pathways Close
Question 4: Downsizing Unfortunately, part of your business has started to struggle in the UK and is no longer making a profit. You have been tasked with working with this part of the business and organising the downsizing and restructure which has resulted in redundancies being made.
You need to:
• Provide an example of how HR would contribute to the plans for downsizing an organisation
(2.3) • Advise organisations on good practice in the management of redundancies and retirements that complies with current legislation.
(4.1) Assessment criterion: 4.1 Advise organisations on good practice in the management of dismissals, retirements and redundancies that complies with current legislation Assessment criterion:
2.3 Contribute to plans for downsizing an organisation. Guidance:
2.3 You need to discuss the role of HR in contributing to downsizing plans, for example; communicating, educating, providing leadership, ensuring equity and fairness, maintaining a managed approach. This part of the submission then links with
4.1. Your discussion should include the following: Redundancies – discussion must include:
• Fair reasons for redundancies.
• consultation and outline the different timeframes for different size groups. Discussions could include:
• Overview of pay calculations. Retirement– discussion must include: • No law linked to enforcing the retirement age
• How organisations can facilitate a smooth process - phasing out, golden goodbyes etc.
• Relevant legislation such as Equality Act 2010 (discrimination). Discussions could include:
• They could comment on the value of people at retirement age and how they can be a benefit on short hour’s contracts.
Question 5: Turnover One of your new team members of the customer department, has been dismissed due to high absenteeism; this is classed as “involuntary turnover “. Please provide a best practice guide on dismissing this employee with regard to the law and timings. Also as part of this process you need to provide the following information:
• Explain why people choose to leave or remain employed by organisations and the costs associated with dysfunctional employee turnover.
• Involuntary Turnover is one example of Turnover. Please describe the other types and the costs associated with dysfunctional employee turnover Assessment criterion:
3.1 Explain why people choose to leave or remain employed by organisations and the costs associated with dysfunctional employee turnover. Assessment criterion:
4.1 Advise organisations on good practice in the management of dismissals, retirements and redundancies that complies with current legislation.
Guidance: 1.1 Assess the major contemporary labour market trends in different country contexts. 3.1 Provide a range of reasons people chose to stay or leave an organisations. A table with 2 columns ‘Stay’/’Leave’ would work well. A short discussion around the the costs associated with dysfunctional employee turnover e.g. increased costs in advertising for replacements, selection costs and costs to the business. Discussions could include: They could also apply some academic/professional theory here e.g. ‘Push Pull factors’. The discussion would then link to 4.1: Dismissal – discussion must include:
• 5 fair reasons for dismissal.
• A lawful disciplinary process and notice periods. Discussions could include: They could discuss the relevance of the CIPD Code of Practice.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions