Discuss the selected characteristics of living cells.
You are required to write an illustrated report that includes the sections outlined below.
Show that you understand basic cell structure by providing written commentary that covers the following criteria. You should use diagrams and/or comparison tables to support your commentary where appropriate.
• Discuss the selected characteristics of living cells.
• Compare and contrast prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, and explain the impact that viruses have on them.
• Discuss eukaryotic sub-cellular structure and organelles.
Demonstrate that you understand cellular metabolism through explanation of the following areas:
• The role of the cell membrane in regulating how nutrients are gained and waste products lost.
• How animal cells use nutrients to provide the energy for growth, movement, and cell division.
• The synthesis of proteins.
Include diagrams to support your commentary where appropriate
Demonstrate that you understand how cells grow and divide through explanation of the following areas:
• The generation of specialised tissues from embryonic stem cells.
• The importance of interphase.
• The factors the initiate cell division.
• How the same genetic information is received by each daughter cell.
• This section also requires you to compare and contrast cancer cells with normal cells.
You should use diagrams and/or comparison tables to support your commentary where appropriate.
The report should be written using the recommended structure and format for an illustrated report as outlined in the study materials for the Academic Writing Skills unit.
Relevant theory must be referenced where appropriate and you must provide a references list and bibliography. Your report should also contain appropriate drawings and diagrams to support your commentary. If these are taken from published sources they must be referenced accordingly.
The report should be a maximum of 3,000 words in length.
This word limit is the absolute maximum you are permitted. If you are over the word limit for this assignment in any way you will receive your assignment back without further comment or feedback.
100% Plagiarism Free & Custom Written,
Tailored to your instructions